Thursday, August 24, 2017

I should mention Simone Signoret day tomorrow

I have to admit I haven't been paying as much attention to the upcoming TCM schedule as I should, in part because I had a wedding to go to last weekend, and that's really thrown my schedule off kilter. Then to top it off after getting back I caught a cold and have had a runny nose and watery eyes for days.

But when TCM's Summer Under the Stars includes a foreign star with a lot of foreign films in the lineup, it's always worth talking about. I haven't seen most of the offerings earlier in the day. Gunman in the Streets at noon sounds as though it should be familiar, but I think it's not. I recall a night of TCM movies involving American stars making pictures in Britain, and could swear they included a Dane Clark movie. Dane Clark is the star here, but this one is French. Looking through Clark's filmography, I think that night TCM might actually have run Blackout, although even that doesn't sound quite right.

Anyhow, back to Simone, she won the Oscar for Room at the Top, which TCM will be showing at 8:00 PM. Personally, I prefer Les diaboliques, which follows at 10:15 PM. And then there's another showing of The Confession overnight at 12:30 AM.

No comments: