Tuesday, August 8, 2017

There were two of those shorts?

TCM is showing the 1935 version of Mutiny on the Bounty this afternoon at 5:30 PM as part of Franchot Tone's day in Summer Under the Stars. Before the film, at about 5:18 PM, they're running Pitcairn Island Today, a short looking at Pitcairn Island, where the HMS Bounty ultimately wound up, and the small number of people living on the island circa 1935. It's a Carey Wilson short, he being the guy who went on to do the Nostradamus shorts among others.

I thought I'd seen it before, but then I noticed that following the feature presentation, at about 7:45 PM, there's Primitive Pitcairn. This is another Carey Wilson short and, as you can guess from the title, it's also about Pitcairn Island and the descendants of the mutineers. I know I've seen at least one of the two. And maybe I've seen both. But especially when you get two shorts like this the shorts tend to blend together.

One unrelated note is that when I was looking up these shorts on IMDb, the site served me up a pop-out video for a trailer of some new Jennifer Lawrence movie, the sort of video that suddenly shows up on the side of the screen and you have to hunt for where to click to close the damn thing. The ads on the side don't seem to be there, probably because you couldn't tell what movie they were for. The ads on the side going are a bit of a shame, because I found those unintrusive. And those pop-out videos are obnoxious everywhere they show up.

No comments: