Thursday, December 17, 2015

Disney Treasures, round 5

Or, I think it's the fifth round of Treasures from the Disney Vault on TCM tonight. I may have missed an installment and it's actually the sixth. But in any case, those of you who like the Disney programming on TCM are getting another night of it.

There's one change, however. In the past, the night has started off at 8:00 PM with three cartoon shorts, which just nicely fits into a half hour. (I think I've said it before, I remember growing up how those one-reeler cartoons fit perfectly three in a half hour with space left over for the commercials. Woody Woodpecker and the Pink Panther were done this way; I can't remember what Tom and Jerry and the Looney Tunes shorts did outside of the Looney Tunes shorts being in a longer show on Saturday mornings.) Anyhow, back to the Disney programming.

The night begins at 8:00 PM with So Dear to My Heart, a feature reminiscent of The Yearling in that a young boy (Bobby Driscoll) adopts a black lamb. He wants to show it at the county fair, but there are a lot of obstacles to doing so. However, with the help of some Disney animation, he vows to overcome those obstacles. Only after that, at 9:30 PM, do we get the first round of animated shorts.

The second half of the evening deals with a bunch of movies set up in the Arctic, starting at midnight with Never Cry Wolf. I seem to recall this one engendering a bit of controversy back when it was first released -- I was only 10 or 11 at the time. Apparently it contained a shot of one the scientist's buttocks. I've never actually seen the movie.

No comments: