Sunday, November 24, 2013

Found in New Zealand, Part 2

Tonight sees the second half of of the movies that were Lost and Found: American Film Treasures from the New Zealand Film Archive. This week actually does have the three surviving reels of The White Shadow, a film whose finding I've mentioned a couple of times in the past since it was written by Alfred Hitchcock at the beginning of his career. If the list on the TCM page is correct, it would be the final item, but I don't know if that list is in the order of airing.

The two-strip Technicolor short The Love Charm sounds reasonably interesting, if only because I'm always up for two-strip Technicolor. There's also a Keystone comedy with Mabel Normand very early in her career, although I don't believe this is a Keystone Kops short: the studio produced much more than just those cop comedies.

There are also a couple of newsreel-like things that look interesting as well. Much as with stuff in two-strip Technicolor, I always find period documentaries fascinating. Well, I don't know that these are documentaries in the sense that we use the words today, but films that were meant to document something more or less factually without actors. I don't think anybody would call the Traveltalks shorts documentaries, but that's the sort of thing I'm thinking of here.

Amazingly, the stuff has already been put on DVD.

No comments: