Sunday, November 17, 2013

Lost films, rediscovered

Tonight's program for Silent Sunday Nights on TCM is titled Lost and Found: American Treasures from the New Zealand Film Archive Part 1, beginning at midnight. The title is more or less self-explanatory: a whole bunch of film footage was discovered in New Zealand in 2009, including stuff previously considered lost. This is some of the stuff that was until now thought lost.

I'm not certain is this is the same discovery that also produced three reels of The White Shadow. I'm not certain whether any of the footage found in 2009 made its way to the documentary Fragments, which I mentioned back in December 2011. I have a vague memory of stuff from New Zealand being mentioned, and a stronger memory of John Ford being mentioned, but I know there was a lot of other stuff in that documentary, and it would have been made not too long after the discovery.

No comments: