Friday, May 6, 2016

TCM Star of the Month May 2015: Robert Ryan

We've finally reached the Star of the Month for May 2015, that being Robert Ryan. His films are airing every Friday in prime time, although this week the films actually start early. The first movie up is Woman on the Beach at 11:00 AM, a movie I thought I had blogged about before, but which a search of the blog claims I haven't blogged about. Either the blog search is on the fritz again, or I really screwed up by not blogging about it yesterday. I guess I need to do a database of all the movies I've blogged about with full-length posts, but even of only a third of the posts are full-length reviews of movies, that would be over 1100 movies. Going back and doing it at this late date is a bit of a problem. Then again, Woman on the Beach is also a movie that I have some problems with, as it really loses steam.

Then there's The Set-Up, early tomorrow morning at 4:00 AM. I thought I had done a full-length post on this one, too, but again, that's not the case. In this one, Robert Ryan stars as a fading boxer still trying to get to the big time who discovers that his trainer has bet against him in his latest fight and not told him, figuring the guy has become so bad he has no chance of winning anyway: there's also a pay-off if he loses. When Ryan finds out, he's determined to win, consequences be damned. It's quite a good movie, but one of those that, being told in real time, is a bit more difficult to do a full-length post on.

More traditional would be Bad Day at Black Rock, which kicks off prime time at 8:00 PM. Act of Violence (tomorrow at 5:15 AM) received a blog post at 5:15 AM. And if you haven't seen it before, I'd recommend The Woman on Pier 13 at 12:15 PM today. It's not very good, but it's one to see just to say you've seen it.

No comments: