Monday, September 19, 2016

Briefs for September 19-20, 2016

I notice that Charmian Carr died over the weekend aged 73. I have to admit that I wouldn't have recognized the name; she didn't do much acting. She played Liesl, the eldest of the Von Trapp Children, in The Sound of Music, and is the one who sings "I'm just 16/going on 17". I'm not a fan of the movie, because in general I'm not a fan of musicals. In fact, I've always thought it would be a more interesting story if the screenplay had the Nazis catch the Von Trapps.

TCM's lineup for tonight is listed as "Featuring the Gettysburg Address". They've included the movie Hitler's Children overnight at 1:00 AM. I have to admit to not recalling where Lincoln's speech shows up in this one. I find the ending of this movie to contain some huge plot holes: the Nazis plan a live show trial, which they would never do since they couldn't control what the defendant was going to do.

One thing that's not listed on tonight's schedule is the short You, John Jones, which has young Margaret O'Brien reciting the speech. In fact, the schedule doesn't have all that much in the way of shorts on it right now. (Having said that, I don't think there's room in between any of tonight's currently scheduled movies to run You, John Jones.)

No comments: